Best in Faction (CSM) at the World's Largest 40k Tournament - Hurons Marauders at LGT 2026

Huron's has Marauders very quickly become my favourite way to play CSM in 11th. It just feels so much more 'modern' than some of the other detachment. Its got speed, utility damage and enough tricks to be a really fun all around list. It does encourage a very infantry heavy approach, but the CSM tanks and daemon engines feel very outdated and expensive compared to the competition. Playing PBZ Predators v DA Land Speeders and comparing the damage, speed and durability and reliability of the two wasn't great fun! A Defiler is still good in some lists but everything else (including 2nd Defiler) just feels bit overpriced compared to meta in general and going 'tall' into armies that felt like they have infinite damage didn't feel a good call. Going wider - with lots of semi tough units that are cheap and mildly annoying to kill felt better than investing in fewer tougher units that just seem to die anyway. This leads you pretty quickly to Bile or Huron's Marauders and I personally prefer the later.




So as for my list I do a full review of everything in my previous post but the TLDR is:

2 Possessed and a ACDC blob - these give huge forward pressure, some big damage potential (albeit at a very similar profile) at a decent speed and durability.

2 Cultist and 2 Biker squads for early screening.

Huron and Chaos Terminators/Mutilators for both utility, a potentially awkward trade piece in slower game and a bit of AP. Potentially could have used both at Rapid Ingress threat but never put the Terminators in reserve who acted as a 'clean up' squad after the Possessed/ACDC had gone in.

Obliterator and Havocs for ranged firepower. Havocs very much the secret source of the list. In Hurons they hit on 2's, which combined with datasheet rule to ignore BS/Hit modifiers made them reliable anti-tank and really helped against things my massed otherwise mid strength low ap army relied on. This is a big reason why Noise Marines (which I started with) ended up out the list pretty quickly, they are great but I didn't really need the type of damage they had.

Cypher - the other secret source of CSM and a huge pain in the butt to my opponents with his Vect aura.

Full list is below but the basic gameplan was typically take it slow for a turn, draw out the chaff. Actively look to discard any secondary turn 1 to boost CP, then turn 2 have a big go aggressive go turn and use either the native ACDC surge, or strat for anything else to surge to bully the middle. After taking the hit back use the Oblit/Mutilator units to try and clean up and try and overwhelm the opponent. 


Pure power, perfectly passionate Possessed potentially perfect preparing pragramtic paradoxical plan poorly. (1995 points)

Chaos Space Marines
Huron’s Marauders (3 Detachment Points)
Purge the Foe
Strike Force (2000 points)

Attached Units
Attached Unit 1

Huron Blackheart (130 points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• Warlord
• 1x Tyrant’s Claw and exalted power weapon
1x Tyrant’s Claw heavy flamer

Chaos Terminator Squad (175 points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard
• 1x Terminator Champion
• 1x Combi-bolter
1x Power fist
• 4x Chaos Terminator
• 1x Chainfist
2x Combi-weapon
1x Paired accursed weapons
2x Power fist
1x Reaper autocannon

Attached Unit 2

Dark Commune (90 points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Cult Demagogue
• 1x Autopistol
1x Commune stave
• 1x Mindwitch
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Warp Curse
• 1x Iconarch
• 1x Autopistol
1x Chaos Icon
1x Close combat weapon
• 2x Blessed Blade
• 2x Commune blade

Accursed Cultists (195 points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard
• 10x Mutant
• 10x Blasphemous appendages
• 6x Torment
• 6x Hideous mutations


CHARACTERS

Cypher (90 points)
• 1x Cypher’s bolt pistol
1x Cypher’s plasma pistol


BATTLELINE

Cultist Mob (50 points)
• 1x Cultist Champion
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Brutal assault weapon
• 9x Chaos Cultist
• 9x Autopistol
9x Brutal assault weapon

Cultist Mob (50 points)
• 1x Cultist Champion
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Brutal assault weapon
• 9x Chaos Cultist
• 9x Autopistol
9x Brutal assault weapon


OTHER DATASHEETS

Chaos Bikers (70 points)
• 1x Biker Champion
• 1x Chaos Icon
1x Close combat weapon
1x Combi-bolter
1x Power fist
• 2x Chaos Biker
• 2x Astartes chainsword
2x Close combat weapon
2x Combi-bolter
2x Plasma gun

Chaos Bikers (70 points)
• 1x Biker Champion
• 1x Chaos Icon
1x Close combat weapon
1x Combi-bolter
1x Power fist
• 2x Chaos Biker
• 2x Astartes chainsword
2x Close combat weapon
2x Combi-bolter
2x Plasma gun

Havocs (125 points)
• 1x Havoc Champion
• 1x Plasma gun
1x Power fist
• 4x Havoc
• 4x Close combat weapon
4x Havoc lascannon

Havocs (125 points)
• 1x Havoc Champion
• 1x Plasma gun
1x Power fist
• 4x Havoc
• 4x Close combat weapon
4x Havoc lascannon

Mutilators (165 points)
• 3x Mutilator
• 3x Fleshmetal weapons

Obliterators (160 points)
• 2x Obliterator
• 2x Crushing fists
2x Fleshmetal guns

Possessed (250 points)
• 1x Possessed Champion
• 1x Chaos Icon
1x Hideous mutations
• 9x Possessed
• 9x Hideous mutations

Possessed (250 points)
• 1x Possessed Champion
• 1x Chaos Icon
1x Hideous mutations
• 9x Possessed
• 9x Hideous mutations

The list and strategy had worked nicely so far, I was unbeaten (with one 100-100 draw) with the list going into the event in mix of RTT, League and casual games. 4-1 felt like a good aim depending on what I played. It felt like the army was very strong into the middle of the field and had a shot into the top armies. It was also a very 'me' army - a few tricks, an aggressive brawler gameplan with a combat focus but with enough ranged to mix it up. Probably more similar to how I played in 9th than 10th were I got very into trading gameplan more than an 'lets go all in'. 


Round 1 v Victoria Wesolowsk'a Tyranid Invasion Fleet - Take and Hold.


list-final-final.txt.(1)_.txt (1995 points)

Tyranids
Invasion Fleet (3 Detachment Points)
Take and Hold
Strike Force (2000 points)

Attached Units
Attached Unit 1

Broodlord (80 points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Broodlord claws and talons

Genestealers (140 points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard
• 10x Genestealer
• 10x Genestealers claws and talons

Attached Unit 2

Tyranid Prime with Lash Whip (75 points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Lash whip
1x Rending claw
1x Scything talons

Hormagaunts (70 points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard (Battleline)
• 10x Hormagaunt
• 10x Hormagaunt talons

Attached Unit 3

Tyranid Prime with Lash Whip (75 points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Lash whip
1x Rending claw
1x Scything talons

Hormagaunts (70 points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard (Battleline)
• 10x Hormagaunt
• 10x Hormagaunt talons


CHARACTERS

Deathleaper (80 points)
• 1x Lictor claws and talons

Hyperadapted Raveners (165 points)
• 1x Ravener Prime
• 1x Prime claws and talons
• 4x Raveners
• 4x Ravener heavy claws and talons
1x Venom bolt

The Swarmlord (210 points)
• Warlord
• 1x Bone sabres
1x Synaptic pulse


OTHER DATASHEETS

Biovores (60 points)
• 1x Chitin-barbed limbs
1x Spore Mine launcher

Norn Emissary (250 points)
• 1x Monstrous rending claws
1x Monstrous scything talons
1x Psychic Tendril

Norn Emissary (270 points)
• 1x Monstrous rending claws
1x Monstrous scything talons
1x Psychic Tendril

Tyrannofex (180 points)
• 1x Acid spray
1x Powerful limbs
1x Stinger salvoes

Zoanthropes (90 points)
• 1x Neurothrope
• 1x Chitinous claws and teeth
1x Warp Blast
• 2x Zoanthrope
• 2x Chitinous claws and teeth
2x Warp Blast

Zoanthropes (90 points)
• 1x Neurothrope
• 1x Chitinous claws and teeth
1x Warp Blast
• 2x Zoanthrope
• 2x Chitinous claws and teeth
2x Warp Blast

Zoanthropes (90 points)
• 1x Neurothrope
• 1x Chitinous claws and teeth
1x Warp Blast
• 2x Zoanthrope
• 2x Chitinous claws and teeth
2x Warp Blast

Exported with App Version: v2.6.0 (144), Data Version: v946

Pregame thoughts - This felt like a tough but winnable game. Nids have a lot of muscle (and easy access to FNP made even things like devs a struggle) but they didn't have the sort of raw damage that was scary. Whilst I couldn't be reckless, they didn't trade very well into say a unit of Possessed or two - they could kill it for sure but it required a big commitment that would help on the hit back. Take and Hold probably meant Nids have to commit first and I could try and use my ranged advantage to chip away before going in with my combat units to hopefully deal enough damage.

CSM deployment - Mutilators and Oblits in reserve and Havocs on table to keep Nids honest. Nids have Zoanthropes in reserve so I can deploy close to line without much worry. The scouting Genestealer unit is a threat so I put cultists and Bikers in front of my Possessed to make it more difficult for them to alpha strike me.

Nids deployment - very much huddled around the centre/right of the table with nothing on left (from my perspective.) Also highlights value of Havocs - the Tyranofex could deploy on the line against a CSM army without them and be a pain with its overwatch but here its going to need a turn or two to get into position.

Nids go first and start to scout up.

Not sure if the screening helped here but Nids elect not to engage on this flank at the moment.

Nids play it cagey for the most part - Norns taking the objective with troops moving up behind.

I try and soften up Nids - 8 Lascannons shoot into the Norn and take it down to 6ish wounds as the reactive moving terminator squad moves into the middle (so they can come back and either make charge longer or let ACDC help them out.)

Both Cultists squads move up - I want to wait for my reserves to come in before I push and I'm not in a hurry so Cultists screening to buy time and set up nice trades seems like good option.

Tyranids move up field and Huron moves back - I'm not too worried about the charge but I want to be able to heroically intervene and make sure I kill the hormagaunt unit so its not blocking my advance back. 

Nids move up field but their lack of guns here and cultists screening keep the Havocs safe for a second volley. 

Nids charge forward and I find a nice spot for Mutilators to rapid - it ensures i'll get some primary and gives me a chance to take out Swarmlord.

Nids charge in - I heroic with the ACDC although their low roll makes it a bit awkward to get in properly. Neverless it helps clear bodies and slingshot them up field a bit as Nids fail to deal any meaningful damage.

Go turn for CSM - Nids start with Shadow in the Warp which is annoying (stops some advance and charges) but I fully commit to the middle.

Possessed on the right one of the units that failed their battleshock so they can't use advance and charge strat, so stay behind bikers and Cultists to counter punch. 

Its a brutal turn from CSM - my ranged shooting takes out injured Norn, Swarmlord and injures another before my combat takes finish's it off. When your complaint for the turn is 'I killed to much, I can't charge now' its a good sign.

Nids have a pocket of resistance on the right flank but CSM are essentially still at full strength.

Nids turn as Zoanthropes start popping in from reserves to join the fray.

Nids commit to the middle taking out my Mutilators but ACDC are able to interrupt to take out most of the Ravenors. ACDC take a pretty brutal swing back from Genestealers.

But its far from enough to clear CSM from the middle and next turn terminators clear up Genestealers as Possessed on the right take the fight to Nids deployment.

The games breaks up into little skirmishs with Zoanthropes trying to slow CSM advance but Havocs are free to target them back and soften them up.
Tyranofex and Possessed keep fighting as its a slooow process to take the beast out after Dev wounds are used up. Eventually Havocs line up the beast and shoot it dead.

Nids keep scrapping away but they don't have the damage left to clear CSM. 

CSM win 99-39

Postgame thoughts - Very solid win for CSM in the end. I've played Nids a few times and the Lascannon Havocs make such a difference - being able to wound the big bugs on 3's and chip away (or more) really helps set up a combat were don't have to worry 'missing' against a big bug is nice. My go turn was really brutal and Nids didn't have enough left after to keep fighting in a meaningful sense. They scrapped well but CSM made all the notable charges and got to dictate the game. I wonder if keeping a Zoanthrope unit on the table, just to keep my Havocs honest would have helped them dictate the early turns a bit better. Still great to start with a win.


Round 2 v Ed Bentley's Leagues of Votann (Priority Assets)

Björn This Way (2000 points)

Leagues of Votann
Hearthguard Covenant and Needgaârd Oathband (3 Detachment Points)
Priority Assets
Strike Force (2000 points)

Attached Units
Attached Unit 1

Kâhl (95 points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Mass gauntlet
1x Teleport Crest
1x Volkanite disintegrator
• Enhancement: Oathbound Speculator

Einhyr Hearthguard (270 points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard
• 1x Hesyr
• 1x EtaCarn plasma gun
1x Exoarmour grenade launcher
1x Graviton hammer
1x Weavefield crest
• 9x Einhyr Hearthguard
• 9x Concussion gauntlet
9x EtaCarn plasma gun
9x Exoarmour grenade launcher

Attached Unit 2

Kâhl (65 points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Mass gauntlet
1x Teleport Crest
1x Volkanite disintegrator

Einhyr Hearthguard (270 points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard
• 1x Hesyr
• 1x EtaCarn plasma gun
1x Exoarmour grenade launcher
1x Graviton hammer
1x Weavefield crest
• 9x Einhyr Hearthguard
• 9x Concussion gauntlet
9x EtaCarn plasma gun
9x Exoarmour grenade launcher


CHARACTERS

Memnyr Strategist (55 points)
• 1x Autoch-pattern bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
• Enhancement: Dead Reckoning

Ûthar the Destined (90 points)
• Warlord
• 1x Blade of the Ancestors
1x Rampart Crest
1x Volkanite disintegrator


DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

Kapricus Carrier (70 points)
• 1x Armoured hull
1x Magna-coil autocannon
1x Smoke Launcher
1x Twin magna‑coil autocannon

Kapricus Carrier (70 points)
• 1x Armoured hull
1x Magna-coil autocannon
1x Smoke Launcher
1x Twin magna‑coil autocannon


OTHER DATASHEETS

Brôkhyr Thunderkyn (170 points)
• 6x Brôkhyr Thunderkyn
• 6x Close combat weapon
6x SP conversion beamer

Hekaton Land Fortress (250 points)
• 1x Armoured wheels
1x Heavy magna-rail cannon
1x MATR autocannon
1x Panspectral Scanner
2x Twin bolt cannon

Hekaton Land Fortress (265 points)
• 1x Armoured wheels
1x Heavy magna-rail cannon
1x MATR autocannon
1x Panspectral Scanner
2x Twin bolt cannon

Hernkyn Pioneers (80 points)
• 3x Hernkyn Pioneer
• 3x Bolt revolver
3x Bolt shotgun
1x HYLas rotary cannon
3x Magna-coil autocannon
1x Multiwave Comms Array
1x Panspectral Scanner
3x Plasma knife

Hernkyn Yaegirs (90 points)
• 1x Yaegir Theyn
• 1x Bolt revolver
1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma knife
• 9x Hernkyn Yaegir
• 1x APM launcher
7x Bolt revolver
9x Close combat weapon
1x Magna-coil rifle
7x Plasma knife

Hernkyn Yaegirs (90 points)
• 1x Yaegir Theyn
• 1x Bolt revolver
1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma knife
• 9x Hernkyn Yaegir
• 1x APM launcher
7x Bolt revolver
9x Close combat weapon
1x Magna-coil rifle
7x Plasma knife

Kapricus Defenders (70 points)
• 1x Armoured hull
1x HYLas rotary cannon
1x Smoke Launcher
1x Twin magna‑coil autocannon


Pregame thoughts: So thankfully I'd played Votann at RTT recently (see previous blog post) and the Thursday before so had some recent practice against an army I wasn't super familiar with otherwise. The basic gameplan as with all Purge v Priority games was simple - stop them pushing the button in the middle and scoring a million points. Thankfully search and destroy meant it wasn't going to be easy for Votann to safely press the button and surge helped keep the middle in the danger zone for as long as possible. This was going to be a match up were I was going to have to take the pain head on - they were going to outscore me passively and the always incredibly impressive Heathguard/Land Fortress and brutal Thunderkyn package meant the counter attack was going to be brutal. The plan was simple - flood the middle the first chance I got to send as much stuff, try and kill all the chaff/easy button pushers, take the counter attack then use my reserves and whatever was left to try and sort the rest out.


CSM deployment - Votann are going to have to go to the middle so want my big angry infantry ready to attack it from any angle. 

Votann deployment - all their scary infantry either in reserve or in tanks.

CSM win first turn and its mostly a staging one ACDC can take the hit best so whilst they are potentially shootable from the Land Forts, they would have to get close and open them up to potentially 2 Possessed who's dev wounds go through better than ACDC's.

Votann use their turn to set up chaff - whilst my Cultists/Bikers can cause some issues I'm going to run out of screens before Votann. I make the call to go in aggressive, try and clear the chaff on the educated but scary assumption Votann won't be able to clear all of it and the threat of Surges will keep them away from the middle.

All aggression all the time here, no point keeping bikers back so they go in on chaff killing too.

Overview before Votann have the chance to Rapid in - no real even hint of screening. I try and set up charges with multiple units so I can potentially slingshot some units up field via overrun pile in

Charges go well - I'm able to take out both light tanks and tag the Land Fortress's and kill Uthar to disrupt Votann's CP economy (Cypher running into the middle to help with that plan too.) 

Pressure on Votann's deployment

Votann have a few problems to deal with, Surge being the biggest obstacle. Given they can't escape fully from it they leave their Pioneers out to tank any surge.

On bottom right flank Votann are just able to squeeze on and kill the bikers with their Land Fortress. Thunderkyn at very top of shot disembark from the Land Fortress and destroy a Possessed squad with some serious firepower.

With the middle not accessible and home under threat Votaan come down closer to my side of the table and start to line up shots. The good news is that it means they won't control the middle and can't action, the bad is they are close to my home objective and the 10vp's it awards at end of game. I drop mutilators just behind my home ruin to help counter. 

Votann's shooting is brutal - taking out most of ACDC but some good saves on Terminators allows them and Huron to live. Cypher comes back with them charging in too - this stops Votann overwatching or using Void Armour on this side of the board allowing the remaining ACDC to actually damage their Hearthguard .

I originally line up Havocs to shoot the Land Fortress...but by the shooting phase I've changed target at they snipe a few Thunderkyn instead given their chance of whiffing into the Land Fortress. Obliterators come up and do nothing but at least charge in to help kill chaff as Possessed make a pain in backfield. 

Votann have taken a pounding but dragged CSM out of the middle. Sadly for them, with their chaff killed they don't have an easy back in. Sadly for me having to turn the army around has come at the cost of my secondaries as I prioritise damage over points. 

Votann move their last transport into the middle as Land Fortress spends its time either void armouring to mostly ignore the Possessed attacks, and chewing through Havoc squads. 

Hearthguard manage to slowly grind out the ACDC in the top left. 

Blurry shot of bottom right- Votann's counter push has kept this objective safe as my attention has been pulled elsewhere and allowed their primary to tick over even its far behind CSM.

Terminators finally end Votann's counter push as CSM reclaim the middle - falling back and charging to easily thanks to detachment rule helped keep the Possessed free and able to quash any little unit and retag the Land Fortress. 

I uppy downy mutilators to try and deny Votann some primary but they fail to get into the Land Fortress's ensuring that both end up living till the end of the game but they can't get to the middle.

Votann keep battling hard, possibly even having more points left on the table than me but their inability to get to the middle and stick means its a solid win for CSM.

CSM win 88-61

Postgame thoughts : Brutal game - 10 Possessed going into a single volley to Thunderkyn was just...ouch! Whilst the attrition game was pretty even throughout the pressure I was putting on Votann turn after turn meant I was able to just about outlast them in the middle and deny them primary (which feels so much harder in 11th than 10th.) Glad I'd had some practice into this one - its was easy to get scared by some of the Votann's big scary numbers and that whilst the Land Fortress's certainly put out damage, it didn't line up as well as their Thunderkyn/Hearthguard which needed to be taken out ASAP.

From the other side, having played Votaan a few times they don't seem to have enough shooting only damage to push this back back - I do wonder if they Rapided in a Hearthguard unit to shoot and charge if they could manage it though. Most only seem to get good value from their (terrifying) guns but not really trying to charge beyond a hopeful 9 roll. Maybe it leaves them too far if I charge away and I can't claim to be anything other than newbie on Votann play!


Round 3 v Sokol Berisha's Chaos Knights (Houndpack Lance/Hunting Warpack) Recon.

still war doggy dog (2000 points)

Chaos Knights
Houndpack Lance and Hunting Warpack (3 Detachment Points)
Reconnaissance
Strike Force (2000 points)


CHARACTERS

War Dog Brigand (145 points)
• Houndpack Lance Keyword: Character
• 1x Armoured feet
1x Avenger chaincannon
1x Daemonbreath spear
1x Havoc multi-launcher
• Enhancement: Loping Predator

War Dog Karnivore (160 points)
• Houndpack Lance Keyword: Character
• 1x Havoc multi-launcher
1x Reaper chaintalon
1x Slaughterclaw
• Enhancement: Panoply of the Cursed Knights

War Dog Karnivore (160 points)
• Houndpack Lance Keyword: Character
• Warlord
• 1x Havoc multi-launcher
1x Reaper chaintalon
1x Slaughterclaw
• Enhancement: Preyslayer’s Mantle


BATTLELINE

War Dog Brigand (135 points)
• 1x Armoured feet
1x Avenger chaincannon
1x Daemonbreath spear
1x Havoc multi-launcher

War Dog Brigand (135 points)
• 1x Armoured feet
1x Avenger chaincannon
1x Daemonbreath spear
1x Havoc multi-launcher

War Dog Brigand (135 points)
• 1x Armoured feet
1x Avenger chaincannon
1x Daemonbreath spear
1x Havoc multi-launcher

War Dog Executioner (140 points)
• 1x Armoured feet
1x Daemonbreath meltagun
2x War Dog autocannon
• Enhancement: Snarling Rivalry (Upgrade)

War Dog Executioner (140 points)
• 1x Armoured feet
1x Daemonbreath meltagun
2x War Dog autocannon
• Enhancement: Snarling Rivalry (Upgrade)

War Dog Karnivore (145 points)
• 1x Havoc multi-launcher
1x Reaper chaintalon
1x Slaughterclaw

War Dog Karnivore (145 points)
• 1x Havoc multi-launcher
1x Reaper chaintalon
1x Slaughterclaw

War Dog Karnivore (145 points)
• 1x Havoc multi-launcher
1x Reaper chaintalon
1x Slaughterclaw

War Dog Karnivore (145 points)
• 1x Havoc multi-launcher
1x Reaper chaintalon
1x Slaughterclaw

War Dog Stalker (135 points)
• 1x Daemonbreath spear
1x Havoc multi-launcher
1x Slaughterclaw

War Dog Stalker (135 points)
• 1x Daemonbreath spear
1x Havoc multi-launcher
1x Slaughterclaw


Pregame Thoughts - So the first of 3 Purge v Recon games. This isn't my favourite match up - primary feels so trivial for Recon. Having not played against CK in 11th learning about what they could do now was...eye opening. Basically if you can think do that they have a strat for that, the answer is Yes and probably the best version of it. This is an odd match up - I can kill CK quickly, they can kill me quickly, my best damage/shooting is better than theirs but they have more threats and beat up my chaff units so badly they may not exist. This was a game I really needed my chaff to work - not so much to any damage but use them to bring CK into a tough position and allow my units to counter attack rather than set the tempo like I did v Votann.


CK deployment and Scouts - Lascannon Havocs keeping them honest is a big reason why I like Huron's Marauders over say Creations of Bile.

CSM deployment - Bikers a little exposed if I go second but keeps them in position to be useful in early turns.

CK shoot a million indirect shots into my Havocs, killing one. This is bigger than it seems as I'm no longer willing to risk Dark Pacting with them without the sergeants 'willing sacrifice' in case of mortals.

Turn 1 - can't get to any Knights so my bikers and Cultists try and draw some out. 
Going into CK turn 2 as CSM are fine just hiding to or behind walls. 

CK turn 2 is mostly shooting up my chaff. I decide to try and go in my turn 2. The Knight in shot reactive moves 6 away from my ACDC. I bring in my Obliterators down to take it out. My opponent feels my +1 to hit detachment rule is really strong and my Obliterators prove their worth, getting double 1 on number of shots, rerolling for no additional shots, hurting themself for 3 mortals when pacting then missing both shots. This is why I started running Havocs.

Speaking of Havocs either arrive from reserve or Uppy downy to take up the 'Winged' Knight up top. Cultists press forward to get in the way. This is position after CK turn 3 movement as they move in to try and take out my ACDC and establish control of midboard. 

The combination of reactive move and Oblits whiffing has put me on backfoot. I'm initially hopeful that ACDC are strong enough to take the hit but the sheer volume and reliability of CK shooting was brutal. I am able to sneak some Mutilators into a nice Rapid Ingress spot into CK backfield.

CK have had a brutal turn and I have one back taking out four dogs - The mutilators kill 2 in Combat, the Possessed kill one each after Lascannons have softened them up. Damage and keeping CK back are now the key.

CK hit me back, but they can't do a decisive blow as their attention gets pulled by different units taking out my Mutilators. Chaos turn after charge - I'm running out of meaningful damage in some ways but Possessed mass volume D2 attacks with Lethals keeps picking up Knights. 

CK keep picking off Havocs and chipping away but they can't break the stranglehold in the middle and are too overtaxed to action.

Position before my final turn - both sides are on fumes (I have 4 Havocs and some Cultists in the other half sitting on points.) Its a bit scrappy now and CK probably table me in a theoretical turn 6 but I've kept CK out of the middle long enough to take the win. 

CSM win 83-64


Postgame thoughts - Very tough, very hard fought win. My go turn was a bit disappointing and CK got a good hit in response, but the attrition war was even enough and I managed to keep CK pinned back away from the third objective so they never had a chance to triangulate it and score roughly infinite points as a result. Cypher was amazing - anyone that's dropped him should hear the angry swearing noises my opponents direct at him. Just seeing an opponent on 1cp and going "Nope your not doing that, or that" as Cypher stopped fights on death, cp re-rolls on key moments and goodness knows what else just with his annoying little aura. Possessed were also great - somethings into tanks they struggle after their go turn (see Votann game) but T9 is a real key breakpoint for them as they threw save after save upon the CK till they went down. 



Round 4 v Jack Murphy's Dark Angels - Company of Hunters/Darkflight Pursuit (Recon)

Space Marines
Dark Angels
Company of Hunters and Darkflight Pursuit (3 Detachment Points)
Reconnaissance
Strike Force (2000 points)

Attached Units
Attached Unit 1

Sammael (105 points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Bolt Pistol
1x Master-crafted plasma cannon
1x The Raven Sword
1x Twin storm bolter

Ravenwing Command Squad (135 points)
• Attached as: Support (Character)
• 1x Ravenwing Champion
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Master-crafted power weapon
1x Plasma talon
• Enhancement: Recon Hunter
• 1x Ravenwing Apothecary
• 1x Black Knight combat weapon
1x Bolt pistol
1x Plasma talon
• 1x Ravenwing Ancient
• 1x Black Knight combat weapon
1x Bolt pistol
1x Plasma talon

Outrider Squad (70 points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard (Battleline)
• 1x Outrider Sergeant
• 1x Astartes chainsword
1x Heavy bolt pistol
1x Twin bolt rifle
• 2x Outrider
• 2x Astartes chainsword
2x Heavy bolt pistol
2x Twin bolt rifle


CHARACTERS

Lion El’Jonson (265 points)
• Warlord
• 1x Arma Luminis
1x Fealty


OTHER DATASHEETS

Invader ATV (60 points)
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
1x Multi-melta
1x Twin bolt rifle

Invader ATV (60 points)
• 1x Bolt pistol
1x Close combat weapon
1x Multi-melta
1x Twin bolt rifle

Land Speeder (105 points)
• 1x Close-combat weapon
1x Multi-melta
1x Onslaught gatling cannon
1x Stormfury missile launcher

Land Speeder Vengeance (145 points)
• 1x Assault cannon
1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma storm battery
• Enhancement: Nightforged Battery (Upgrade)

Land Speeder Vengeance (145 points)
• 1x Assault cannon
1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma storm battery
• Enhancement: Nightforged Battery (Upgrade)

Land Speeder Vengeance (155 points)
• 1x Assault cannon
1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma storm battery
• Enhancement: Nightforged Battery (Upgrade)

Nephilim Jetfighter (195 points)
• 1x Armoured hull
1x Avenger mega bolter
1x Blacksword missiles
1x Twin heavy bolter
• Enhancement: Thundercowl Turbines (Upgrade)

Nephilim Jetfighter (195 points)
• 1x Armoured hull
1x Avenger mega bolter
1x Blacksword missiles
1x Twin heavy bolter
• Enhancement: Thundercowl Turbines (Upgrade)

Ravenwing Black Knights (75 points)
• 1x Ravenwing Huntmaster
• 1x Black Knight combat weapon
1x Bolt pistol
1x Plasma talon
• 2x Ravenwing Black Knight
• 2x Black Knight combat weapon
2x Bolt pistol
2x Plasma talon

Ravenwing Black Knights (75 points)
• 1x Ravenwing Huntmaster
• 1x Black Knight combat weapon
1x Bolt pistol
1x Plasma talon
• 2x Ravenwing Black Knight
• 2x Black Knight combat weapon
2x Bolt pistol
2x Plasma talon

Scout Squad (65 Points)
• 1x Scout Sergeant
◦ 1x Astartes chainsword
◦ 1x Bolt pistol
◦ 1x Close combat weapon
• 4x Scout
◦ 4x Bolt pistol
◦ 2x Boltgun
◦ 4x Close combat weapon
◦ 1x Missile launcher

Storm Speeder Thunderstrike (150 points)
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Stormfury missiles
1x Thunderstrike las-talon
1x Twin Icarus rocket pod
• Enhancement: Thundercowl Turbines (Upgrade)

Pregame thoughts - So I've played Dark Angels a few times...and the best I'd come is a 100-100 draw against them. This is a really tough mission for an aggressive infantry list like mine. DA are faster and have fantastic profiles into killing my elite 3 wound infantry so alpha striking me is always a risk...but if I play passively their primary game is so trivial and easy they will just outscore me with no effort. I really want to go first, stage up and be aggressive into them but a Hammer and Anvil deployment puts me so far away. Its a case of trying to be aggressive and take out the Vengeance's were possible and use my reserves to try and get me over the line.


CSM deployment - Bikers hiding in little nooks were possible with infantry behind or on terrain. 

DA deployment after scouting the outrider squad.

Here comes the pain. Turn one Alpha striking planes

Almost get a bit of slice of luck - a Biker clings to life after getting shot by a Vengeance and is able to surge into Sammael's unit stopping the charge....

But Bikers have pistols and manage to take it out. The charge into ACDC and Cypher killing him. 

ACDC take out a bunch of Samael's unit on the hit back, and are able to fall back along with the Terminators charging in to take them out. This is already a damage race and I try and respond to DA alpha strike - I get a big advance on the blue Possessed at top of shot and send them into a Speeder and biker unit failing to kill either. The Havocs do shoot a plane out of the sky though.

DA are staged back ready to attack - I think the CSM counter attack stung them more than they thought it would though as planning the turns takes awhile! As much as the Alpha strike hurt, it at least brought the battle in quick (and helped get rid of the Outrider unit rather than having to respect their threat.)
Side on shot of battlefield.

Annoying to not have killed the Speeder/bikers at top of shot in combat with Possessed, means I can't consecrate the objective and primary is an early struggle for CSM.

Lion moves up to take the fight to CSM as DA speeders combine to take out all bar one of my Possessed.

I'm behind on scoring, and mostly screened out. The Lion failing his charge gives me an inn and various DA units in the midfield give me a chance to leapfrog up field. If my reserves can shoot 2 Vengeances off we have a game on.
My reverses come on and shoot...0 Land Speeder vengeances off with Obliterators typically failing to achieve anything with their guns.

They do at least manage to make their charge and finish the Speeder off to stop a complete disaster and a combination of Possessed and terminators kill the Lion. 

Slightly blurry shot - the good news is that DA are going to struggle to dislodge me from the middle. The bad - they don't really need to as they pop up in backfield taking out my Cultists and securing my home objective.


You work hard, kill the Lion, have big dreams...and watch the Land Speeders you want to kill run to the other side of the board. 

I'm struggling to close the gap with DA and taking too much attrition damage to keep things going - my Mutilators uppy downy and go for a big 9 inch charge (with re-roll.) Sadly they fail and given how well DA are scoring its the moment I realise I can't catch them now.

DA move in on my backfield, doing the action for a third time guaranteeing their primary will be roughly infinite.

Blurry shot - I have a pretty solid control of midboard - but no charges of note are possibly, my turn 4 is over in about 30 seconds as Possessed charge onto DA home but its too little to late now.

Last two turns fly by in a flash - DA shoot from outside of charge range taking out the Obliterators, I sit in the middle scoring some points and the game ends without CSM getting to make another meaningful impact v DA


CSM lose 95-75

Postgame thoughts - So as I'm writing this its day 3 of LGT and Jack is still undefeated having beaten Liam VSL, so no shame in losing this (Editing note - Jack finished third!) This is probably the lists toughest match up on its hardest deployment going second. To win this I realistically needed Jack to either make a mistake, or have a real spike. My reserves didn't do enough damage (not a horrifically bad low roll or anything) but I really needed one of those "Attack with 4 Sustained Lascannon get 6 hits" type of turns to swing the match up. in a 10th style mission were fighting over the middle was important I can win this, when DA don't have to engage and can shoot me from safety in the corners this is as close as I can get without a spike or mistake. From a personal level - I think I did about as much as I could here to get close, the middle felt like a real tight game as I stayed in a contest but ultimately I couldn't keep up with DA's scoring. Happy with how I played, no real regrets.



Rough 5 v James McGlough's  Dark Angels - Company of Hunters/Darkflight Pursuit (Recon)


Fly Hard with a Vengence (2,000 Points)
Thanks Will B you legend

Space Marines
Dark Angels
Company of Hunters and Darkflight Pursuit (3 Detachment Points)
Reconnaissance
Strike Force (2,000 Points)

ATTACHED UNITS

Attached unit 1

Sammael (105 Points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Bolt Pistol
• 1x Master-crafted plasma cannon
• 1x The Raven Sword
• 1x Twin storm bolter

Ravenwing Command Squad (135 Points)
• Attached as: Support (Character)
• 1x Ravenwing Ancient
◦ 1x Black Knight combat weapon
◦ 1x Bolt Pistol
◦ 1x Plasma Talon
• 1x Ravenwing Apothecary
◦ 1x Black Knight combat weapon
◦ 1x Bolt Pistol
◦ 1x Plasma Talon
• 1x Ravenwing Champion
◦ 1x Bolt Pistol
◦ 1x Master-crafted power weapon
◦ 1x Plasma Talon
◦ 1x Recon Hunter

Outrider Squad (70 Points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard (Battleline)
• 2x Outrider
◦ 2x Astartes Chainsword
◦ 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol
◦ 2x Twin bolt rifle
• 1x Outrider Sergeant
◦ 1x Astartes Chainsword
◦ 1x Heavy Bolt Pistol
◦ 1x Twin bolt rifle

Attached unit 2

Azrael (140 Points)
• Attached as: Leader (Character)
• 1x Lion's Wrath
• 1x The Sword of Secrets

Inner Circle Companions (160 Points)
• Attached as: Bodyguard
• 6x Inner Circle Companion
◦ 6x Calibanite Greatsword
◦ 6x Heavy Bolt Pistol

CHARACTERS

Lion El'Jonson (265 Points)
• Warlord
• 1x Arma Luminis
• 1x Fealty

BATTLELINE

Intercessor Squad (80 Points)
• 1x Intercessor Sergeant
◦ 1x Bolt pistol
◦ 1x Bolt Rifle
◦ 1x Power fist
• 4x Intercessor
◦ 4x Bolt pistol
◦ 4x Bolt Rifle
◦ 4x Close combat weapon

OTHER DATASHEETS

Incursor Squad (85 Points)
• 4x Incursor
◦ 4x Bolt pistol
◦ 4x Occulus Bolt Carbine
◦ 4x Paired Combat Blades
• 1x Incursor Sergeant
◦ 1x Bolt pistol
◦ 1x Occulus Bolt Carbine
◦ 1x Paired Combat Blades
• 1x Haywire Mine

Land Speeder (105 Points)
• 1x Close combat weapon
• 1x Multi-melta
• 1x Onslaught gatling cannon
• 1x Stormfury Missile Launcher

Land Speeder Vengeance (145 Points)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Heavy bolter
• 1x Plasma storm battery
• Enhancements: Nightforged Battery

Land Speeder Vengeance (145 Points)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Heavy bolter
• 1x Plasma storm battery
• Enhancements: Nightforged Battery

Land Speeder Vengeance (155 Points)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Heavy bolter
• 1x Plasma storm battery
• Enhancements: Nightforged Battery

Ravenwing Black Knights (75 Points)
• 1x Ravenwing Huntmaster
◦ 1x Black Knight combat weapon
◦ 1x Bolt Pistol
◦ 1x Plasma Talon
• 2x Ravenwing Black Knight
◦ 2x Black Knight combat weapon
◦ 2x Bolt Pistol
◦ 2x Plasma Talon

Scout Squad (65 Points)
• 1x Scout Sergeant
◦ 1x Astartes Chainsword
◦ 1x Bolt pistol
◦ 1x Close combat weapon
• 4x Scouts
◦ 4x Bolt pistol
◦ 4x Close combat weapon
◦ 4x Combat Knife

Storm Speeder Thunderstrike (135 Points)
• 1x Close combat weapon
• 1x Stormfury Missiles
• 1x Thunderstrike Las-talon
• 1x Twin Icarus Rocket Pod

Storm Speeder Thunderstrike (135 Points)
• 1x Close combat weapon
• 1x Stormfury Missiles
• 1x Thunderstrike Las-talon
• 1x Twin Icarus Rocket Pod


Pregame thoughts - So this feels familiar! James's is a previous opponent and if you shift over every game on this blog (or maybe even my old one) you can read up on a rare Nids mirror I was involved in. Lets go over the differences any why they are important. Firstly and most crucially its dawn of War deployment meaning DA are much closer and I can get to the middle easier. Secondly James has a bit more combat and less shooting - meaning I have stuff I can charge rather than having to ignore stuff and hope it rolls badly. 


That said because this is more favourable doesn't mean its favoured and I decided to take two big risks in deployment. Firstly was both Havoc squads in reserve along with mutilators and Obliterators. This meant DA could deploy freely on the line/in the open without fear of getting shot by anything meaningful. Secondly I deployed pretty much on the line, standing in hidden but very easily to be shot. I couldn't deploy safely and have a forward pressure on this deployment so I chose to stand in vulnerable position to ensure I could pressure. 


This left me severely vulnerable to alpha strike.... but it meant if I went first I could pressure, and use Lascannons to deploy into a position to try take out the Vengeances. If I can kill 2/3 of them in a turn then DA might not have the damage left to stop my push and actually have to commit to a brawl that I'm much better suited to win. Its a risky strategy that revolves around winning the roll off for first turn...but thankfully I did.

CSM deployment - I'm not sure I can hide safely but to try to would have so much stuff at the back that I couldn't pressure DA. Try to keep the Possessed safe as possible, ACDC hidden as they can tank a hit better v Plasma and dare DA to get close if they want to shoot me rather than hide in corners and shoot from a distance.

I want to be aggressive, but not reckless. I consider full sending turn 1 but in the end do little bit of staging on right flank and send bikers up to try and take out some Incursors. 
DA's turn is reasonably muted back - they set up to kill my bikers and kill Cultists to take out my chaff. With reserves an option now I try and get aggressive.

I get a huge piece of luck - the Green Possessed get a big advance and into the mid board. One biker from Samael's squad was on the objective and with a 10 inch charge I can not only connect but get most of the squad in. Even with a AoC Possessed tear through most of the squad. It means that I've managed to get the first blow in v DA and set the tempo, as well as stop their best counter pushing option. The Possessed are shot to Death pretty comfortably but Lion fails to kill  Huron.

DA lining up to kill my Possessed. The Speeder touch the terrain to kill them meaning my Lascannons can come in from reserve to hit them in my turn.

I'd staged the other Possessed squad up in my turn, semi safely (DA have to try and kill both in a single turn which they elect not to and keep back) I bring in mutilators via Rapid Ingress to threaten DA expansion.

CSM turn 3 - its full send across the board. The right flank is a bit dogey looking. Similar to last game I'm looking to take out two Vengeances on my turn and establish board control in the middle.

If Cypher kills the Lion DA have to concede right? He doesn't but that's not the point. His Vect aura though does stop Lion intervening as Hauron as he fights for the right objective pretty much solo. My shooting takes out one Speeder, cripples another and I manage to get my charge into another taking it out. 
Mutilators low roll a bit into inner circle but survive the clap back well and CSM are firmly established in the middle. DA need to clap back hard now or be overrun.

The remaining DA land speeder lines up into the Possessed and despite Oath kills only 1 thanks to some good saves. The Lion aims for my Havocs rolls a 1 on his advance and Cypher laughs as he stops the Lion from rerolling. Lion fails his charge, DA's shooting whiffs and Chaos can't be stopped.

CSM win 100-50.

Postgame thoughts - Some nice revenge against DA! On lunch break I'd suggested to friends the previous game was winnable on a different deployment if I'd gone first so it was nice to prove them right! Still needed some luck - the Possessed getting a 6 advance then 10ish charge to be able to take out Samael's squad was huge - I was planning on taking out a Land Speeder to pressure DA but it put the tempo so far on my side that it left DA needing to spike back to get back in the game. Thankfully they couldn't and CSM were able to take a big win to leave the event on a high note.



So finished 4-1 and picked up best in faction for CSM, which I think is the third time I've done that at LGT. Admittedly like one before the top cut had players on CSM including my team mate Sam who battled all the way to round 8 on Monday before falling to Orks. If your wondering why I tend not to play CSM in team events theirs a big reason why! Still cool to win an award though  even if sadly I'd already left by the presentation. Oops. 1 loss against the person who ended up coming third felt like a good result even if it would have been cool to make the shadow round again. Final position was 45 out of a mere 1051


As for my list - well I love it. Obliterators feel like the week link, just such a unreliable unit and they failed big moments. Havocs were brilliant in filling a similar role and keeping people honest though even if I really really wish they had a Chaos Icon. If we didn't have an imminent slate than I'd look at what I could do with that Obliterator points but otherwise the list feels pretty fixed. Overall at tournaments it had a 10-1 record and I hadn't lose a game in any of the practice games I'd done with it either (another 15-20ish.) 


Next time - Next booked in is teams but not impossible I find something before then. Hoping meta slows down a bit in terms of pace of game and shooting gets toned down! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best in Faction with 10 Blightlords as DG win 5 games at 212 player Beachead Brawl Super Major

10 Blightlords Death Guard/Fire and Dice go undefeated at 760 player Winter International Team Tournament

10 Blightlord Terminators spearhead DG to as DG win 77 player Gothic Games Canterbury: January Mega 40k RTT